Sunday, March 11, 2007

Pantun


This is what I would call a modified Pantun, as I did not strictly follow the rules for writing a Pantun, but I did stay pretty close to them. The Pantun is a Malay poetic form which has existed in its current state since about the 15th century. It involves repeating lines from each stanza in the following stanza.







Hollyrood Park



Rocky green expanses stood their ground
Ground carved in St. Anthony’s Cathedral six hundred years ago
Ruins would not turn away from the past

Rocky green expanses stood their ground
The wind could only steal pebbles from St. Anthony
Ruins would not turn away from memory
Erosion is the ally of memory

The wind could only steal pebbles from memory
Arthur’s Seat remains
Erosion is the ally of the wind
Pushing down on St. Anthony’s as if it had lost something

Arthur’s Seat will remain
I lay on grass hundreds of feet above Edinburgh
Glaring down at St. Anthony’s as if it had stolen something
Seeing not what Arthur saw but what he built

I lay on grass hundreds of feet above Edinburgh
Seeing sky and stone and rain
Seeing not what Arthur saw but what others have built
Present came crashing down when Arthur and I stood together

Seeing grass and stone and rain
Seeing and remembering Camelot
Future came crashing down and only Arthur remained
I will return someday

To finish the Epic

No comments: