Wednesday, July 23, 2008

First Interview

My first interview was at a language school on West 32nd Street.  For anyone who doesn't know New York, this street is also called Korea Way, and is filled with Korean restaurants and shops.  The interview was short, about 20 minutes, and I got the feeling that the interviewer had not reviewed my resume previous to meeting me.  She asked for more detail about the type of teaching jobs I had previously held.  She also asked a couple predictable interview questions, such as "What is your greatest strength as a teacher?"  The job is only part-time, 12 hours a week, and it takes place in the evening.  She said she would call me Wednesday afternoon to inform me of her decision, but I suspect I will only get a call if I am being offered the job.  

I am in a good situation, in that I do not have to immediately accept the first job I am offered.  I probably won't accept this job if I am offered it, for several reasons.  First, the pay is quite low.  I don't expect to get rich teaching English, but I do possess a Master's degree in the field, and that should count for something.  

Second, the hours are not what I had hoped.  In the initial email they sent to me, I was told that I could teach all day on Monday and Tuesday, for a total of 12 hours each week.  But when I reached the interview, she informed me that the class I would be teaching met from 5:30 to 8:30, Monday night through Thursday night.  I don't have a problem with teaching nights normally, but right now my girlfriend's job has a very demanding schedule, and from 7 to 9 in the evening is just about the only time we have to spend together, so if I took this job, we essentially would not see each other from Sunday night until Friday night.  That is just unacceptable.  I want to teach, but my relationship is more important than money.

Third, the school seemed a little sketchy.  It was on the small side, and they made very clear that they wanted to pay me in cash, with no paper work or taxes involved.  While there are short-term benefits from that type of arrangement, in my experience, it does not bode well for job security.      

No comments: